MLML/CSU Marine Science Diving
2019 AAUS Summer Intensive Scientific Diving Course
- Training research divers to AAUS standards to attain status as a scientific diver. Certification allows for research diving reciprocity among AAUS institutions (Need a home institution for affiliation)***
- Training in advanced safe diving techniques
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of diving physics, physiology, equipment troubleshooting, navigation, dive planning, emergency and rescue skills
- Become familiar with research diving skills, survey techniques and common marine organisms. Research techniques include REEF CHECK surveys - Increase competency as coldwater diver under varied conditions
- Become familiar with small boat diving safety and techniques
- Become certified as NAUI Master Diver and AAUS diver
***The summer course is intensive. Be in swimming and diving shape, come prepared.
PRE - REQUISITES
- Basic SCUBA certification
- Verify with a certification card
- Rescue certification ***Contact Shelby Penn (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested in taking a 2 day Rescue course prior to the Summer Dive Course.
- 12 logged cold-water scuba dives minimum! (with 4 recent. Must provide log book)
- All date, location, buddy, depth, dive profile info required. We highly recommended to have 20+ dives.
- Current application & dive medical completed on this Dive Medical Form with appropriate lab work
- Personal Dive Gear with current annual inspection verification (see list below / rentals available)
- Pass a swim test (MUST PASS FIRST DAY - see details below), basic skin and SCUBA skills
- Current CPR, 1st Aid, Emergency O2 training (provide cards or proof of current training)
- Current DAN membership and basic diving insurance
- Commitment to a rugged, challenging and rewarding diving course
COURSE SIGN UP
Admission based on instructor consent. Contact either instructor for info. The first step is to submit your MLML Diver Application by email to email@example.com. Priority given to MLML and CSU grad students, then undergrads, then outside applicants but we encourage all to apply. Course is being offered through SJSU Extension. After application is assessed, sign-up details will be provided to those who meet the requirements.
All other course paperwork can be found on the MLML Scientific Diving website. The first 9 items must be submitted to Diana Steller (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 20 July 2018. KEEP PERSONAL COPY OF ALL PAPERWORK.
Cost: ~$500 ***
Costs cover: AAUS certification, REEF CHECK certification, NAUI Master Diver Certification, Training, cylinders & fills, dive vehicle transport, boats, engines, field compressors, sampling & emergency equipment (O2/AED), field equipment, access, camping and food for field trip to Big Creek UC Reserve.
***Not Included/Costs approximated:
- CPR, 1st Aid
- O2 admin., certification
- NAUI Master Diver Card ($16)
- NAUI Master Diver text (~$36)
- Medical Exam (~100-$200+)
- DAN Membership ($25) + Insurance ($25, 35 or 70$)
- Reef Check manual and flash cards ($20.00 each)
- 2 sided slates for sale at MLML ($20.00)
DIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIRED AT START OF COURSE
- Weight belt and your own personal weight (weight pouches ok too)
- Buoyancy Compensator, with appropriate clips for avoiding dangling gear
- Regulator - must have either octopus or BCD must have airsource and proof of it having been serviced in the last year
- Mask & Snorkel
- Wetsuit (7mm wetsuit minimum for ocean, surf suit ok for pool), dry suit ok if you have prior training and verification of training. This is not a dry suit training course.
- Gloves, Booties & Hood
- Timing device (minimum – water resistant to 50m) or dive computer + manual
- Cutting Tool (Safety Shears or Dive knife with strap)
- Equipment Bag (that fits all of your gear)
- Smaller Mesh goodie bag (that fits mask, fin, snorkel) for boat diving
- Save-a-dive kit
- Dive Light (minimum one, preferable to have 2)
- Dive slate for sampling (2 sided slates+UW paper for sale at MLML $25.00)
- Camping Gear for Big Creek Trip – sleeping bag, pad, tent, flashlight/head lamp, sun hat, warm weather gear, sunscreen, water bottle, plate, knife, fork, mug, underwater harmonica