CCFRP in Review: Data Interpretations
This webpage provides results from seven years of data collection as part of the California Collaborative Fisheries Research Program (CCFRP). Although these results provide useful information for fisheries management and the evaluation of marine protected area (MPA) performance, additional monitoring is necessary to answer questions surrounding long-term effects.
To help evaluate MPAs, CCFRP has collaboratively developed standardized protocols, which attempt to answer the following questions:
- Do MPAs result in larger fishes when compared to associated reference (REF) sites?
- Do MPAs increase reproductive output of their residents?
- Do MPAs increase the density of species that are fished outside of their bounds?
- How do individual central California MPAs compare to one another?
- How can we use MPA monitoring to inform fisheries management?
For additional information about the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) and MPAs in other regions along the California coast, please visit http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/.
Fisheries & Conservation Biology
Moss Landing Marine Laboratories
8272 Moss Landing Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
p: (831) 771-4479
f: (831) 632-4403