INSTRUMENTATION AT MLML
MLML has many instruments used for various aspects of marine science. Some of these instruments are in common-use labs whereas other instruments are in specialized labs of certain researchers. Many of these instruments can be used with proper training, or a specialized technician can perform the analyses.
Some of the specialized equipment includes:
- Atomic absorption spectrophotometer
- Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometer
- DMA-80 Direct Mercury Analyzer
- Cold Vapour Atomic Fluorescence Spectrophotometer mercury detector
- Hitachi Scanning Electron Microscope with INCA Energy 250 energy dispersive X-ray spectrometer
- Leica Petrographic Microscopes
- Trimble VX Spatial Station terrestrial laser scanner
- Beckman Coulter Laser Particle Sizer LS 1230
- Ion Torrent Personal Genome Machine genome sequencer
- Microwave for assisted acid digestion.
We also have available many sea-going instruments from dive sensors placed on vertebrates to CTD rosettes for the ocean-going vessels.
Two of the instruments are run as cost centers, where you can send a sample and it can be analyzed for a set price.