2020 OPEN HOUSE EVENTS
Open House Events:
- Seminar talks presented by MLML researchers
- Tours of wetlands, birds, and aquaculture facility
- Fun activities for kids of all ages: invertebrate touch tank, fish printing, our infamous puppet show, and more!
- Learn about the different facets of marine science by walking through different labs
- Explore how science is conducted via our research boat and SCUBA diving gear
- Support graduate students via a raffle, silent auction, and retail store
- Ichthyology Lab (including Fisheries & Conservation Lab) Activities: Fishing & Fish ID Game, Fish Printing
- Pacific Shark Research Center Activities: Shark ID Game, Citizen Science: Spot a Basking Shark, Shark Origami!, Shark Artifacts
- Invertebrate Ecology Lab Activities: Invertebrate touch tank
- Benthic Ecology Lab Activities: Explore an Ice Hole, Native Wetland & Estuarine Plants, Specimen display
- Vertebrate Ecology Lab Activities: Let’s Talk Killer Whales!, Adaptations Display, Coloring and Origami
- Phycology Lab Activities: Seaweed Ice Cream, Get in the (Intertidal) Zone, Diving in the Kelp Forest, Algae Up-Close & Personal
- Biological Oceanography Lab Activities: Plankton under a Microscope, Design a Phytoplankton, Chromatography Bracelet Creation Station, Coloring, Make A Water Molecule Headband!
- Chemical Oceanography Lab Activities: Benthic Flux Chambers
- Physical Oceanography Lab Activities: Plot my Cruise, Internal Wave Station, Experience the Pressure of the Depths, Thermohaline Circulation, Wave Tank display
- Geological Oceanography Lab Activities: Create your own ROCK Candy! Identify that rock!, What is sand?, Class Project Videos, Marine Sediment Cores, How do you categorize sediments?
Puppet Show, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00 PM & 3:00 PM
This year’s much anticipated Annual Puppet Show will be all about conservation! This year’s cast promises a show unlike any other that is full of adventure, educational songs, and of course, some fun and lovable PUPPETS!
Take a look at puppet shows from previous years here.