My research interests broadly involve the development of sustainable aquaculture. Specifically, I’m interested in working with industry to apply advanced and emerging technologies to help solve issues limiting aquaculture growth. I have primarily used biotechnology to study physiological systems in marine organisms including reproduction, biomineralization, toxicology and nutrition. Current research interests include using high-throughput sequencing and bio-informatics to develop biomarkers for valuable traits in cultured aquatic organisms. I’m also involved in researching alternative fish-free feeds for the aquaculture sector.
- Gardner, Luke. "Temporal Tracking of Mineralization and Transcriptional Events Associated with Shell Formation During the Early Life History of Pearl Oyster Pinctada maxima." 2016. Current Biotechnology 4.
- Lauren M. Sassoubre, Kevan M. Yamahara, Luke Gardner, Barbara Block, Alexandria B. Boehm. Quantification of Environmental DNA (eDNA) Shedding and Decay Rates for Three Marine Fish. Environmental Science and Technology. 2016, 50 (19), pp 10456–10464.
- Klinger, Dane H., Jonathan J. Dale, Adrian C. Gleiss, Tyler Brandt, Ethan E. Estess, Luke Gardner, Benjamin Machado et al. "The effect of temperature on postprandial metabolism of yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares)." Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology (2016).
- Madigan, D. J., Carlisle, A. B., Gardner, L. D., Jayasundara, N., Micheli, F., Schaefer, K. M., & Block, B. A. (2015). Assessing niche width of endothermic fish from genes to ecosystem. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112(27), 8350-8355.
- John P. Incardonaa, Luke D. Gardner, Tiffany L. Linbo, Tanya L. Brown, Andrew J. Esbaugh, Edward M. Mager, John D. Stieglitz, Barbara L. French, Jana S. Labenia, Cathy A. Laetz, Mark Tagal, Catherine A. Sloan, Abigail Elizur, Daniel D. Benetti, Martin Grosell, Barbara A. Block, Nathaniel L. Scholz. 2014. Deepwater Horizon crude oil impacts the developing hearts of large predatory pelagic fish. PNAS: 111: E1510-E1518.
- Jayasundara N, Gardner L, Block, B. 2013. Effects of Temperature Acclimation on Pacific Bluefin Tuna (Thunnus orientalis) Cardiac Transcriptome. American Journal of Physiology 305: R1010-R1020.
- Incardona JP, Swarts TL, Edmunds RC, Linbo TL, Aquilina-Beck A, Sloan CA, Gardner LD, Block BA, Scholz NL. 2013. Exxon Valdez to Deepwater Horizon: comparable toxicity of both crude oils to fish early life stages. Aquat Toxicol 142-143: 303-316.
- Gardner L, Jayasundara N, Castilho P, Block, B. 2012. Microarray gene expression profiles from mature gonad tissues of Atlantic Bluefin Tuna, Thunnus Thynnus in the Gulf of Mexico. BMC Genomics 13: 530.
- Gardner L, Mills D, Wiegand A, Leavesley D, Elizur A. 2011. Spatial analysis of biomineralization associated gene expression from the mantle organ of the pearl oyster Pinctada maxima. BMC Genomics 12: 455.